Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.


How do I report a crime?
In a non-emergency situation, you should call the police agency in the place where the crime was committed.   If you are unsure of where the crime took place, call the New Hampshire State Police (271-3636) or the Belknap County Sheriff’s Office (527-5454).  If the crime is suspected child abuse, it must be reported by calling the DCYF hotline at 1-800-894-5533.  In an emergency situation, call 911 and your call will be routed to the appropriate agency.

If I believe a child is being abused, am I required to make a report of some kind?
Yes.  Under New Hampshire law every person is required or mandated to report suspected child abuse or neglect.  Reports should be made promptly and with as much detail as possible.  A report can be made anonymously. The report should be made by calling the DCYF hotline at 1-800-894-5533 or the police agency where the crime took place.  Failure to report child abuse is a misdemeanor crime itself.

Does the Office of the County Attorney give legal advice to citizens?
No, this office does no private legal work, does not handle civil disputes and cannot advise citizens on private or civil legal matters.

What does it mean if I am subpoenaed?
A subpoena is an order to appear in court. You must appear on a subpoena or you may be subject to an order of arrest.  If you are subpoenaed you are entitled to the statutory witness fee plus mileage.

What do I do if I have a complaint about a law enforcement officer?
If the complaint is a crime, it should be reported to a police agency like any other crime.  If you are uncomfortable reporting the crime to the agency where the officer is employed, call the Belknap County Sheriff’s Department or New Hampshire State Police. If the complaint has to do with the professionalism of the officer and not a crime, contact the chief of police or the police commission/selectpersons.

Belknap County, New Hampshire  34 County Drive, Laconia, NH 03246    
Privacy Policy & Website Disclaimer    Virtual Towns & Schools Website